One of my favorite hymns is “Great Is Thy Faithfulness.” I love everything about it – from the text’s inspiring and encouraging reminders of God’s love, to the soaring melody that allows us to raise our thanks to God.
In the last couple of weeks, one phrase from that song has come consistently to mind: morning by morning, new mercies I see.
At the beginning of February we had hit a “wall” of sorts. The commitments were not coming in as we’d hoped, and we weren’t sure which way to turn next. We were coming out of a January very full of other events that had kept us from focusing on preparations for Slovakia. In the midst of that time it was easy to start questioning… “Is this really what God wants us to be doing? Where is the provision God promised?”
That was about the time we asked you to pray with us over our future ministry and financial needs. And you must certainly have joined us in that season of prayer, because things started happening.
Almost every single day, we’ve had some reminder that we’re on the right path. Here are the kinds of things we’ve seen:
- New financial commitments from people we didn’t know this time last year,
- A new partnership with a church that was looking for a way to connect personally with God’s work in the world,
- Financial commitments from people, whom we’ve recently met only because they are drawn to the story of the Roma,
- Encouraging cards, phone calls and emails from people who are moved by what we’re doing,
- Financial gifts from people who are in very difficult financial times,
- Meeting new partners who have been involved with Slovakia or the Roma in the past,
- Discovering that old friends had connections to Slovakia and/or the Roma we never knew about,
- Being prayed over and prayed for by people we had never met,
- Seeing that over the last two weeks, our commitments have crept up by a percent or so each day.
We could go on and on with these kinds of things. And we will – we think this is part of why God has brought all of us together, to give each other reminders of his constant faithfulness! But the sheer number of these reminders is not the point. The point is that every day, God has showed us something new that reminds us we are on the right path. Sometimes it’s subtle, sometimes it’s more obvious. Sometimes it’s tangible, and sometimes it’s the kind of thing you could never put a price tag on. But it’s there, every day. We just have to look for it.
I used to be amazed by the faithless-ness of the Israelite people as they wandered in the wilderness. One moment they would be praising God for doing something amazing (food from the sky??), then flip the page and they’re complaining and saying, “We had it better in Egypt!” Did they forget what had happened just a few days before? How could they doubt God’s faithfulness after seeing the Red Sea split in two?!
[Kettle clears his throat]
Every step of this journey we have seen God’s guidance and provision. And yet, when I have a difficult time, it’s easy to stop and ask, “Am I SURE this is right?” I wake up to a new day and ask, “Where are you today, God?” And God answers, “Right here. Just open your eyes.”
Morning by morning, new mercies I see!
Hard to see if we don’t have our eyes open, huh?
Maybe you don’t struggle with this like I do sometimes. But if you do, I hope you’ll open your eyes with me today. Let’s look for God’s faithfulness together, and encourage each other by sharing what we find!