Thanks to so many of you for your encouraging words in response to our visa situation. After a few good nights’ sleep and a lot of prayer and thought, we feel more confident than ever – but please keep praying! Documents are being prepared and sent from the US, and our time is getting shorter each day!
After a week filled with stress and unexpected obstacles, I think it’s important for us to recognize the many ways that God has been working since we’ve started this process. A few months ago, I called these moments “Stones of Help” (click the link to read that post), and we’ve continued to see those often since we’ve arrived.
There’s no way we could list them all… it would take pages! But here are a few of the blessings that come to mind when we think about our Stones of Help in the midst of a trying week:
- Many posts could be written about the process of raising our support, and the many people God has placed in our path. Suffice it here to say that while it was hard to do the fundraising, we now see just how closely God was leading us.
- We had safe and problem-free travel from the U.S. to here (a miracle in itself!)
- We found a wonderful place to live, right in city center, with several English-speaking neighbors!
- The girls response to all this was one of our biggest worries. But their response has been better than we ever could have asked! They miss “home,” to be sure – but they love Slovakia and consider this their home now.
- We have so many friends and family committed to sending us letters and packages, even though it’s expensive. These packages have often come at very crucial times when we needed encouragement.
- Another concern for us was finding a place we could have lifegiving worship and Christian friendships – what a blessing God gave us in Devleskero Kher! This church family is exactly what we needed and more!
- We have developed many friendships – primarily through the church – with friends who are willing to help us learn the Slovak language. Some have even invested significant time into this, despite their own busy schedules.
- We have also located a native Slovak language tutor with a PhD in English – she is an excellent teacher!
- We found a school for the girls that is a perfect place for them – a bilingual school where they can learn Slovak, while also being comfortable in the fact that they have English-speakers nearby. On their first day of school, they both ended up seated next to English-speaking children- which made them feel much more at ease! Every day this week they came home from school excitedly chattering about what they did that day – a sign that they are comfortable. Praise God!
- We have encountered several Slovak people who have gone out of their way to help us when we were lost or needed help. We’ve been amazed at how God has provided for us, and at the new friends we’ve made.
- We’ve also seen that God has taken care of us in times when we were not taking very good care of ourselves. At several points we could have lost passports, keys, phones, or been hopelessly lost – but God has provided.
- We have a doctor here who speaks perfect English. What a blessing THAT is!!
These are just a few ways God has given us reasons to know that, in spite of an unexpectedly stressful week, THIS is the place that he has brought us!